Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tuesday Morning Boredom - Makes you think....

Morning blog lovers!

What a weekend. I can truthfully say that it was one of the most interesting weekends I have had in long time. I could go into details, but I think I will spare you lol.

Lets just say, in no particular order, it involved my birthday, alcohol, strippers, UFC, moral decisions, TWO champions crowned in American sports (NBA / NHL), and plenty of BBQ.

Needless to say, my head is still spinning and I am still trying to recover fully.

Makes you think...

Last Friday I posted an entry from Joe Rogan's blog about life and how he compared a mushroom trip to having kids. In this article he mentions that if you took a human that lived years ago and showed him how humans live in the present, they couldn't imagine it...it would be too bizarre.

"I have this routine that I follow where I hire a car to take me to the airport, and while he’s driving I sit in the back seat and get on the internet on my laptop.Seems pretty normal and straight forward to most folks.

Now if you really think about it, just 400 years ago this “normal” routine that I have would have been the stuff of the strangest fiction.I’m moving faster than a sprinting horse inside a big metal box that’s powered by tiny controlled explosions and we’re rolling over a hard, man made surface that’s interconnected throughout the entire continent.

I’m typing away on a machine that is interfaced with the entire world through some invisible signal that almost instantly connects me to the entire current sum of accumulated human knowledge, and while all this crazy shit is happening, I’ll occasionally pull out something smaller than my hand, and I’ll use it to talk to people that are on the other side of the fucking world.

I will eventually get to a giant group of buildings where I will be scanned for explosives. I’ll then be strapped into a metal tube that’s also powered by explosions, and along with hundreds of other people I’ll be hurled through the sky so high that you can see the curve of the earth, and so fast that you literally go forward in time for the slightest fraction of a second."

then...

I ran across this video. I don't know what else to say other then WTF. I mean, this video isn't that old...like 10 years maybe. Who the hell knows what crazy shit us humans are going to get ourselves into the next 10 years.

I read a CNN article about this yearly robotic competition, FIRA. (Federation of International Robot-soccer Association) The article stated that by the year 2025, that the best human soccer team would not be able to defeat a robotic team.

WTF Mate? Thats right...Man U, Team Brasil, AC Milan, or the best players in the world combined would not be able to beat an all robotic team. The craziest part about it is that these robots WILL NOT be controlled by humans. They are programed to make there own decisions and wouldn't need any outside human help once the game started.

For some reason I keep on imagining Arnold saying "Where is John Connor?" . Oh and btw, on National Geographic's Top 10 Most Likely Ways the World Will End....getting taking over by robots terminator style is number 2 on the list.

fucking a...LOL

Till next time, I'm WTFout!

3 comments:

Fish said...

I was wondering where you had been! I was missing my daily spaghetti!! Strippers and UFC sounds like my proposed batchelor party plans, lots of goodness. I skipped 99 but waiting anxiously for 100. GSP vs Alves and Lesnar vs Mir!!

Arthak said...

Welcome back ;).

I´m not that much into UFC (or MMA in general) but I watched 99. They have come a long way since the days of Gracie and Shamrock. Since it was the first time the UFC was here in Germany (as far as I know) I sat down at home with a nice 6-pack (no strippers...) and watched the show live on TV (free TV that is... NO PPV here in Deutschland *g*).
I might keep an eye on those guys. 100 should be good. I remember Lesnar´s intensety when he was in WWE (yeah... show and stuff). I´d love to see him go in the Octagon ;).

Rhii said...

That video is totally nuts.

One of the nuttiest things about it is that some of the big corporations (T-Mobile!!) I've worked for are still using nasty 90's looking interfaces just like the ones they show in that video when newer programs are so much more attractive, streamlined, and easy to use...

How can things change so quick and still be in such a rut?!