Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Grand Theft Auto - The King of the Sandbox


I don't even know what to say right now. In fact, before I even do anything else, check out the new game play trailer that Rockstar games released this morning of their upcoming installment, Grand Theft Auto 5. Then check out my thoughts below.

Also, while you are there, go ahead and subscribe to YouTuber, TmarTn. You will not be disappointed.

Ok, now WATCH!!



Trailer Review


Ok, now that you are all moist and feeling hot and bother...I'll continue. First of all, wow. Very impressive. I was expecting it to be good, but damn son!

I love the three main characters. The GTA series has always focused on one particular character and his journey through the story line. The main character always has a very interesting, full, and diverse background story. So when the developers were thinking about what type of person they want to center this game around...why the fuck limit yourself to one character?!?

Sure it is a ton more work, but they got the time...and more importantly, the money.

LOVE. IT.

One of the things that is most interesting to me is the switching between characters during a mission. As you saw in the video, one guy was flying a chopper, one was sniper support, and one was holding a guy hostage. I for one am very intrigued in how the developers are going to allow the player to switch between the characters. My guess would be that the game would force you to a certain character's perspective / role, but who knows at this point. The way I viewed the scene in the trailer was that you can switch on the fly and if that is the case, this game is going to have some of the most insane replay value in recent memory.

The massiveness! Fuck'n A breh!


The GTA series has always been the king of the sandbox genre. As someone that grew up playing all of the Rockstar GTA games, they will always be held as the pillars that hold up the entire category in my mind. I remember spending thousands of hours doing stupid crap like looking for a certain type of car to steal and bring back to the docks. How about delivering pizzas for hours on a moped? Yup, I've done it. Why you ask? No fucking clue. However, the amount of freedom and thought that goes into making every single GTA game is outstanding.

GTA 5 seems to continue this pattern with the crazy massiveness of the game play area. Seeing all of it and knowing all of the things you can do and experience leaves me kinda speechless. I just hope they can pull it off with all of these things going on at the same time. I REALLY hope we don't have any technical issues that cut into or downgrade the game play.

Yes, I am talking to you Bethesda. Skyrim PS3 users know what I'm talking about.

Shoot them up


GTA is, at its heart, an open world game about violence, guns, and cars. Smoothness of how these mechanics work is very important. Some will say it is by far the most important aspect of the game and I tend to agree. Looking at the video from the 4:05 to 4:16 mark, it is very obvious that the game designers had this in mind.

That 11 second clip is what got me the most excited about the game hands down. It looks so smooth and fun. If it plays as well as it looks, I can see my life getting engulfed very easily.

Missions - How they work!?!


The video spends a full minute of going over the freedom and the customization of performing missions in the game. See the 4:30 to 5:30 mark. I hate to sound like a fan boy and just praising the developers, but man, I really like this idea as well. It just adds another layer on to the game.

You want to be sneaky and smooth when doing this mission? Go for it. Oh wait, you just want to go in there guns blazing, daring the cops to come stop you? Yeah, you can do that too.

Total freedom. Its what the game is all about and I love that they added it in to the game. Nothing is final, but I hope this feature makes it to the final product.

Final Thoughts...


How dare you rockstar. How f'n dare you leave us hanging like that? I mean really, could you of left us on a bigger cliff hanger then what you did? I am chill'n out in some sort of high-rise flat with a phat view of the city and a fucking jet comes scorching by my window. As I investigate further I realize that it was an actual player. The closer I look that more I realize that everyone that I see is an actual player.

Players in cars, walking, in planes, helicopters...is this some sort of MMO!?! Perhaps a MMO mode?!!1?one?

...and you say..."oh yea, this is the multiplayer...we will show you that soon"



not cool Rockstar...

I hope you are happy. Your point was made and you got all of us hooked in and wanting more. Good job so far. Don't let all the hype and positive reviews get to you though. This game has the potential of being one of the greatest of all time and I for one hope it is.

New reader? Check out the rest of the blog and share with your friends. Hugs and kisses bitches, until next time.

No comments: